Thursday, August 19, 2010

A few thoughts on President Obama and this whole Ground Zero Mosque fiasco

The day was January 14th, 1980 and William F Buckley - at a taping for his program, Firing Line - asked President-elect Ronald Wilson Reagan the pointed question, "I should like to begin by asking President Reagan: What would you do if, say, one afternoon you were advised that a race riot had broken out in Detroit?" Reagan, after a brief pause, replied, "Well, I would be inclined to say that that was a problem for the local authorities in Detroit, unless those local authorities were unable to control the situation."

This is a request to President Barack Obama.

Dear President Obama,

I understand that you are in a bit of hot water again. This time it is due to your comments supporting the "Ground Zero" mosque. I will dispense with any positions I may have on this issue as I believe them to be moot in relation to the office you hold (and the office I seek). But, let me say this, read the above statement by former president Reagan and take it as a "teachable moment". You seem to be a man of many opinions, which, I can't say I blame you - I too suffer from the weight of many an opinion. But, perhaps you should understand that your job, or role, as president is a Federal one. Your duties are restricted by the Constitution to the Federal government, not the individual states.

Now, I understand that the Federal government has its fingers in many state matters and thus the line is so blurred that we cannot comprehend the difference. But, be that as it may, perhaps you should take the same route which Reagan chose. I know that your comments about the arrest of Henry Gates last year gave you a bit of flack and resulted in the ridiculous "Beer Summit". I thought you would have learned a lesson with that episode in your presidency but apparently you have not.

This "Ground Zero" mosque melee is ultimately a local and/or state issue. As many Americans were affected by the horrific events of that day, a nation such as ours was founded upon the rights of private property and, in the issue of this current case, is currently handled (at best I might add) by the local and/or state authorities.

The next time a reporter, or anyone else for that matter, inquires about your opinion on a particular matter in which you ultimately have no jurisdiction over, perhaps you should reply that said matter is one for the local and state authorities. Besides, I'm sure you have another game of golf which is a far more pressing issue. ;)

No comments: